YOUTH LEADERSHIP GOALS AND OBJECTIVES (8th Grade Program)
- Build self-esteem through participation and accomplishment.
- Define leadership qualities and focus on leadership skills.
- Provide an opportunity for middle school students to network with students from other campuses.
- Inspire students to seek advanced education.
- Provide information about career options.
PARTICIPANT SELECTION CRITERIA
- Eighth grade students are to be nominated by their English teachers and final selections are to be made by the counselor and members of the youth leadership committee. Participants selected should be those who have “untapped” leadership potential and who have not been previously recognized.
- The team of 5 from each middle school is to be heterogeneous with reference to gender and race/ethnicity.
- Participants must have no other personal or school commitment on the day of the youth leadership program.
The Youth Leadership program is the first-day activity of an eight-week summer youth employment program known as the Future Leaders Program. During the program, students will be employed at Lamar University, Beaumont Independent School District or the City of Beaumont. During the day’s activities, session leaders will challenge the students to define their roles as future leaders so they may make their respective communities a better place in which to live.
This program is in its 24th year and has been underwritten by ExxonMobil. Students have been selected from Central Medical Magnet High School, Ozen Magnet High School, and West Brook High School.
Students that entering their senior year in August can be nominated to begin the next session in June.
For more information regarding this program please contact Amy Babineaux at (409) 838-6581 or email@example.com