About This Role:
The College of Engineering Department is inviting applications for the position of Administrative Coordinator Sr.
Lamar University (LU), a member of the Texas State University System, has experienced tremendous growth over the past decade, with an enrollment of 17,000. LU has been recognized nationally for its general education core curriculum, leadership in on line education, and selection as a member of the Honor Roll of the Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For”. LU is located in Beaumont, in the southeastern region of Texas on the Texas Gulf Coast and is a major contributor to the nation’s oil and gas, transportation, refining and supply.
The Lamar University College of Engineering (LUCOE) offers a modern, affordable education deep in the heart of one of the most economically important regions in the world. Seventy-five petrochemical facilities are located within a 20-mile radius of Lamar University’s beautiful campus. The LUCOE is consistently ranked in the top five nationally for higher education value and return on investment; most recently ranked 3rd in the US for return on investment in 2021. The LUCOE has a longstanding history of providing a high value, student-centric education and collaboration with industry. The LUCOE is embarking on an exciting journey of growth and enhanced partnerships with industry, while continuing to enrich our student-centric world class education.
The purpose of this position is to provide executive level support to the Dean, Associate Dean and
Business Manager of Engineering at Lamar University. Position will also be responsible for providing leadership to manage effective systems and protocols within the Dean’s office under the supervision of the Dean. The position will manage the Dean’s, Associate Dean’s calendar and Business Manager, if requested, conduct research in order to prepare briefing materials, coordinating travel, travel reimbursements, managing the Dean’s, Associate Dean’s and Business Manager’s tasks, coordinating confidential and sensitive communications among the COE units and across campus.
This position works closely with several COE units including departments, alumni and development, operations, human resources and academic personnel. This position assists the Dean, Associate Dean and Business Manager with special projects as needed. This position will also organize and supervise the activities and schedules of the departmental administrative staff.
- Provides research and analysis to prepare briefing materials for the Dean, Associate Dean and Business Manager.
- Manages multiple tasks with competing deadlines. Responds to routine & non-routine inquiries regarding COE and campus operations, policies and procedures.
- Forwards situations and issues presented by staff, faculty and external constituents to appropriate staff members for resolution.
- Provides administrative and technical assistance on a wide range of special projects as assigned by Dean, Associate Dean and Business Manager.
- Makes high-level contacts of a sensitive nature regarding routine & non-routine issues internally and externally requiring a high degree of discretion and diplomacy and time sensitivity.
- Understands the program goals and priorities of the Dean and Lamar University leadership team, in order to prioritize issues according to urgency.
- Directs the daily administrative operations of the Dean’s office; functions as a work leader to direct and oversee assignments for the Dean’s office administrative assistant, departmental administrative assistants, student workers and work study student assistants.
- Functions as a gatekeeper to assure prioritization of the Dean’s time. Responds to a wide variety of inquiries from faculty and staff.
- Uses multiple computer applications to support key administrative functions.
- Manages the Dean’s, Associate Dean’s and Business Manager’s task list and follow up activities to assure timely completion of projects.
- Shares primary responsibility for managing and scheduling the Dean’s, Associate Dean’s and Business Manager’s calendars.
- Collects and prepares information for use in discussions, meetings of executive management and external individuals.
- Drafts briefing documents for the Dean, Associate Dean and Business Manager as well as correspondence and works on other communications projects.
- Develops and manages a database of contacts, initiatives and assignments. Records minutes or notes of meetings as required.
- Functions as a resource to lower level staff; provides coaching and training to ensure situations and issues are appropriately managed as well as forwarded to appropriate staff members for resolution.
- Interact professionally and timely with the College of Engineering Advisory Council. Plan, schedule and organize meeting. Take detailed meeting minutes.
- Respect the council member’s time and keep their contact information confidential to all except the Dean and Business Manager.
- Organize and prepare Board of Regents’ and other reports to the University and System.
- Assist with the research/academic Centers’ activities.
- Process all departmental/student paperwork that comes from the departments/academic advisors/etc.
- Run and provide Argos and other academic reports as needed
- Assist with college of engineering events
- Other assignments as needed
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered that includes:
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Advanced technical and computer skills to support administrative functions including MS Office Suite with an emphasis on PowerPoint, Excel and database skills, electronic calendar management, various videoconferencing applications such as Zoom, MS Teams, etc., and email applications.
- Excellent project management skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong analytical/problem-solving skills using sound judgment within policy parameters.
- Provides high quality customer service orientation.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff; both verbally and in writing, with excellent editing and proofreading ability.
- Strong ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Advising and counseling skills.
- Ability to use high-level discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Diplomacy, professional appearance and demeanor, and excellent attendance
- Project management training preferred but not required.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training and 3+ years of experience.
Job Posting Link to Apply: Lamar University | Administrative Coordinator Sr. #442572