About This Role
Lamar University is inviting applications for the position of Study Abroad/Internship Advisor. Reports to the Dean of the College of Business (CoB).
What You’ll Do – Position Duties
As a member of our team, you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
- Develop, launch, and manage a portfolio of effective and strategic academic, internship, and experiential learning opportunities, in collaboration with faculty, academic departments, and other related units on campus.
- Promote and market the CoB Study Abroad trips to Spain, Central and South America, China and other destinations for online and face-to-face courses in both graduate and undergraduate programs using various channels, including CoB web page, social media and university press.
- Advise study abroad applicants concerning program options, the application process, and Lamar’s study abroad policies, procedures, payment dates, and financial and academic policies and protocols.
- Update and maintain communication processes, including Formstack, Marketplace, and email correspondences with faculty and students.
- Handle all travel arrangements, logistics, and paperwork with third parties for study abroad trips.
- Support program logistics, the procurement and contract process, payment to vendors, and compliance with university and other requirements.
- Conduct pre-program orientation for students and faculty.
- Maintain accurate student files and records.
- Coordinate with program faculty on marketing and recruitment including Study Abroad Fair, Cardinal View, and other promotional efforts.
- Recruit and advise study abroad alumni to volunteer as peer advisors.
- Collect, analyze, and share study abroad data with various stakeholders
- Serve as liaison with partner institutions and study abroad providers.
- Support lead faculty in course preparation.
- Prepare necessary paperwork to comply with Lamar University Study Abroad office.
- Prepare students and coordinate pre-trip orientations and post-trip meetings/classes/presentations.
- Serve as liaison between faculty and principals/partners in foreign countries.
- Coordinate student recruitment and Study Abroad scholarships (Janie Nelson Steinhagen & Mark Steinhagen Global Fellow, Carter Innovation Fund Study abroad and other scholarships).
- Maintains and reconciles budgets for College of Business Study Abroad trips. Monitors expenditures and performs simple analysis on accounts. Research discrepancies and prepares special and recurring reports.
- Coordinates and oversees daily office functions in the CoB advising center; takes and routes incoming calls; copies and distributes messages within the office; answers questions from students, faculty, staff, and the public while maintaining excellent customer service.
- Assists professional advisors and CoB Cardinal Coach with administrative and technical support.
- Coordinates Internships for the College of Business independently and in collaboration with the university Career Center, both for credit and not-for-credit.
- Explore and develop new internship opportunities with local businesses
- Maintain and nurture relationships with local business community
- Network with Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Clubs, and other groups
- Create and maintain database of all CoB student interns.
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
Benefits – Job Perks:
At Lamar University one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
Our Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You’ll Need to Succeed – Minimum Qualifications
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years clerical experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.