About This Role:
Lamar University is inviting applications for the position of Electrical Specialist.
Job Summary: Routine electrical work. Work involves installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical systems, circuits, equipment, and appliances. Work is performed under general supervision of the electrical supervisor. Complex work or large jobs are checked for conformance to standard trade practices and National Electric Code (NEC) upon completion. The employee in this class has no supervisory responsibilities. Work requires climbing, heavy lifting, and working from aerial lifts, crawling through tunnels and attics, high voltage danger, and exposure to inclement weather. The candidate will routinely work with other crafts and will be required to monitor contracted work and provide training to subordinate employees. This position is considered as essential, and employees will be required to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to emergency situations or natural disasters. These specialists work under the direct supervision of the Electrical Supervisor in the Facilities Maintenance department.
- Reads, interprets, and executes drawings, schematics, blueprints, and electrical code specifications to see layout of commercial electrical equipment installations.
- Tests electrical and equipment and parts for continuity, current, voltage, and resistance.
- Uses voltmeters, amp meters, and other test equipment, as well as hand tools of the electrical trade.
- Installs repairs, or replaces electrical wiring, receptacles, switch boxes, conduits, feeders, and line assemblies, lighting, and alternative electrical parts.
- Performs preventive maintenance and testing of electrical systems (including power distribution equipment).
- Installs electrical circuits, as well as panels, conduit, protecting devices, switches, and equipment required to accommodate the CEC and/or NEC.
- Works on electrical failures and replaces components wherever production time is often affected.
- Corrects connections and wiring on equipment controls wherever incorrect applications may cause harm and dangerous conditions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing and be able to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and email applications.
- Maintain flexibility and be available for duty during short-notice or urgent situations.
- Work both independently and cooperatively with others, maintaining excellent customer service.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered that includes:
· Health, dental & vision insurance
· Life insurance
· State of Texas Retirement plans
· Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
· Paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
Minimum Education Required: An Associate Degree or completion of a formal technical training program within the electrical or related field is preferred. At least 5-years of electrical experience may be accepted in lieu of a certified degree. A high school diploma or GED is required.
Minimum Experience Required: With completion of a technical training program, at least (3) years of experience in the electrical or related field is required. Without the completion of a formal training program, at least (5) years of direct experience as an electrician is required.
Certification(s) Required: Certification in a technical training program within the electrical field is preferred. A valid Texas driver’s license is required.
Key Competencies: The successful candidate shall be knowledgeable in repairing and servicing electrical systems and associated equipment. The ability to function on a journeyman-level within the electrical field is expected. The applicant should have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and email applications. Experience working with a Computerized Maintenance Management System is preferred. Employees are expected to lead by example, demonstrating the highest level of ethics. They are expected to work together to meet the needs of the department and university, by providing exemplary customer service to the staff, faculty and students.
Physical Requirements: Tasks require the regular and, at times, sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work. Some combination of climbing and balancing, to include climbing ladders, stooping, kneeling, crawling, working at heights and working in confined spaces. May involve the lifting of moderately heavy objects, up to 45 pounds. Requires a full range of physical motion to operate manual/electrically powered tools.
Job Conditions: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, weather, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, vibrations, traffic hazards, or toxic agents.
Lamar Expectation of Quality: Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.