About This Role:
Lamar University is inviting applications for the position of Library Specialist. This position reports to the Head of Reference Services. Responsibilities include providing research services, participating and promoting Library outreach efforts, and working in partnership with librarians to develop and maintain finding aids (LibGuides). We are seeking someone with strong interpersonal skills who is enthusiastic, service-oriented, and interested in working in a highly collaborative, innovative, and diverse environment.
- Provides reference service by phone, email, chat service, and at library outreach events to patrons up to 20 hours per week.
- In partnership with unit librarians, creates and maintains finding aids (LibGuides) and multimedia platforms.
- Adding and developing digital content for the library’s social media platforms.
- Conducts library tours.
- Participate in library outreach and related events.
- Maintain inventory of outreach/training materials; unpack, check-in, and shelve materials.
- Develops a strong familiarity with library information resources and with the structure and operations of the library to better serve users.
- Assist in the plans, preparation, and maintains library displays, programs, and roving reference.
- Provide the Reference Department with administrative support, such as by answering, updating Outlook calendar, and typing, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required. May be cross-trained to serve as a back-up in other library departments.
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered that includes:
· Health, dental & vision insurance
· Life insurance
· State of Texas Retirement plans
· Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
· Paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Library or information-related majors or education degrees are preferred.
- Teaching/training or library public service experience or relevant customer service experience preferred.
- Moderate computer skills, email, word-processing, database searching, and social media applications.
- Knowledge of basic library research methodology and the ability to use it.
- Ability to use licensed resources, such as research databases within the library.
- A practical understanding of the teaching/training process.
- Familiarity with standard citation styles (MLA, APA, Chicago).
- Familiarity with office procedures and operations.
- Knowledge of the web, instant messaging, social media applications, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications.
- Ability to interpret library policies and procedures and apply them accurately, as well as the ability to evaluate procedures and recommend changes.
- Ability and desire to develop new skills.
- Effective problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, team, and relationship building skills.
- Effective time management and project management skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse populations.
- Ability to adapt to changing customer and library demands.
- Ability to work independently; seeks out new responsibilities; generates new ideas; and practices self-development.
Salary: $22,880 - $26,312
Job Posting Link to Apply: Lamar University | Library Specialist #499412 (previous applicants should not reapply)